– Insecure will debut Sunday, October 9 at 10:30PM.
– L.A. will feature prominently in the series.
Much like some shows in the past have used New York and Brooklyn as backdrops, Los Angeles, California will play a major part in the show. Issa Rae’s character Issa Dee will navigate the city and its culture as she juggles work, friendship, and romance.
– We’ll see a lot of interaction between Issa and her best friend, played by Yvonne Orji.
“We wanted to depict an authentic black female friendship.” says Rae.
– Some of the stars will bare all.
What’s an HBO series without a little nudity? We’ll be seeing both male and female characters in the buff.
– Insecure is the first premium cable series created by and starring a black woman.
Upon learning this, Rae remarked that it was “sad.”
– HBO recently dropped another teaser for the series, and it’s pretty funny.
– Issa Rae hopes Insecure will depict and examine the complexities of blackness.
There is a “notion that there’s a universal way to be black,” Rae said at recent TCA show panel. “It’s been portrayed throughout media and has been accepted by mainstream media, [but] what does that mean if you’re not ‘black enough?’ Does that mean that I don’t fit into this box? I always find the humor in that because you can’t escape being black – it’s who you are.”